In the market for new windows? Don’t just settle for any window company—take your time to research your options and find a reliable one that meets your needs. With our guide, you can easily compare different window companies and make an informed decision. Ready to get started?
Why New Windows?
There are many reasons why homeowners today are replacing their old windows. And while much of it has to do with energy efficiency, there are also style benefits as well:
- Energy efficiency improvement: Old windows can be drafty and let in air, leading to higher energy bills. New windows can reduce energy loss and lower heating/cooling costs.
- Increased comfort: Creating a comfortable home starts with new. New windows can improve indoor temperature regulation and reduce noise levels. Offering complete climate control.
- Improved aesthetic: Updating windows can enhance the overall appearance of your home, increasing its curb appeal and property value.
- Enhanced security: New windows can come with improved locking systems and tougher glass, increasing the security of your home.
- Easier to use: New windows may be easier to operate and clean, providing improved functionality. In fact, access to self-cleaning windows is rapidly becoming a popular reason for replacing windows. It saves costs over hiring window cleaners.
What If I’m Building a New Home?
If you are planning or designing a new home, an easy subcontracting service to save a lot of time and hassle is window and door replacement. Your general contractor can help you find the best window companies in the area that can quickly work around their construction schedule to purchase, deliver and install windows in a snap. In fact, once windows are in, it can instantly make a new build home look more complete. It is one of the most notable steps in custom home construction.
Where to Start the Search for Window Installation Companies
An initial search on the internet for home subcontractors can be overwhelming. Here are some helpful tips to narrow down that search:
Here are six top ways we recommend to find the best window companies in your city:
- Online search: Most searches these days begin on the internet. Even for local home service contractors. Use search engines such as Google to search for local window installation companies. You can also check online directories and websites that specialize in home improvement services.
- Local referrals: Ask friends, family, or neighbors for recommendations for window installation companies they have used in the past. Has anyone on your street replaced their windows recently?
- Professional organizations: Look for companies that are members of professional organizations, such as Fenestration Canada and Door and Hardware Institute Canada, and look for recommendations. These organizations set standards and best practices for the industry. In the USA, one of these organizations is National Fenestration Rating Council (NFRC).
- Location: Use location-based search terms, such as “window installation subcontractors in [city]” to narrow down the search to companies near you.
- Services offered: Include specific keywords related to the services you are looking for, such as “residential window installation subcontractors.”
- License and insurance: Look for companies that are licensed and insured by adding keywords such as “licensed window installation subcontractors” to your search.
- Reputation: Include terms such as “best window installation subcontractors” or “top-rated window installation subcontractors” to find companies with good reputations.
- Specialties: If you have specific requirements, such as historical restoration or custom window design, include those terms in your search to find companies that specialize in your desired area.
- Customer reviews: Use websites such as Yelp or Google Reviews to find companies with positive customer ratings and reviews. Look for companies with a high number of positive reviews and an overall rating of 4 stars or more. However, look carefully at their negative reviews to see how legit they are. Sometimes, there are people that are simply never satisfied.
Evaluate Credentials and Qualifications.
It’s important to evaluate the credentials and qualifications of any potential window company. Ask questions about their certifications, insurance, and accreditation. Do they employ certified installers? Are they a member of any reputable organizations? A qualified window installation technician should be able to provide you with all the relevant information you need. Take some time to research the companies that pique your interest and check references before making a decision.
Read Through Reviews & Online Resources.
To ensure you’re choosing the right window company for your needs, it’s important to read through customer feedback and reviews. Check out their ratings on sites like Yelp. Read up on their customer experiences. Don’t just take the company’s word for it – do your homework and ask for as much evidence of satisfaction as possible. These days, there are also online resources that can help assess companies quickly, such as Aggregated Ratings or TrustLink. It pays to do your research!
One strategy we recommend for researching reviews includes reading long descriptions of the windows installation service. Does a customer mention specifics like time frames, window delivery, or disturbances to their home? Do they mention the smoothness of the sales process? Do they discuss whether the installer was high-pressure, or let them choose? Look for reviews that talk thoroughly about the entire process.
Request Proposals & Obtain an Estimate.
After you’ve done your research and you have a list of a few window companies that seem promising, it’s time to request proposals and obtain an estimate from each. Ask for the full cost of materials and installation, as well as any additional services that may be provided by the company. Don’t forget to inquire about warranties and returns policies, should there be any problems with your order after installation is complete. Make sure you understand all the details before signing on the dotted line to ensure a smooth experience!
Schedule an Onsite Consultation with Contractors.
Once you’ve narrowed down your search, it’s important to schedule an onsite consultation with contractors. Seeing the window company representatives in person can help you assess their attention to detail and customer service as well as how well they can meet your expectations. During this stage, it is crucial to ask questions about their installation process and any additional services they offer such as financing or home improvement recommendations.
You may be wondering what an Onsite consultation looks like. Will it be a high-pressure sales pitch? Will it be simply a window measurement? The best window companies will give you, the homeowner, space to make the decision, and will follow up with you several days later, regardless. There should be no judgment whether you chose them or someone else.
Here is what one of these consultations will look like:
Initial window assessment:
The consultant will visit your home and assess your existing windows, taking measurements and noting any potential challenges.
Discussion of installation options:
The consultant will then discuss your options for replacement windows, including materials, styles, and features.
Review of window quotes and contracts:
The consultant will provide a quote for the window installation, including a detailed breakdown of costs, and review any contracts or agreements that you would need to sign.
Addressing questions and concerns:
The consultant will answer any questions or concerns you may have about the window installation process, including the timeline, warranty, and any necessary permits.
Scheduling of the window installation: If you decide to move forward with their installation, the consultant will help you schedule a date and time for the work to be completed.
Ask them about the Final walk-through: Before leaving, the consultant will likely conduct a final walk-through with you to make sure you are satisfied with the plan and that all your questions have been answered. Does this company offer this? Do they offer warranties and follow-ups?
Ask Necessary Questions and Compare Quotes.
One of the important steps in choosing the best window company is to ask all necessary questions, such as how long they’ve been in business, what their insurance and warranties are like, and how the installation process works. Get quotes from at least 2-3 different companies before making a final decision. By doing this you can compare their rates on materials, labor, shipping costs, and other services they provide. This will help ensure that you get the best value for your project!
You may have many questions before moving forward. In fact, that is a good thing. Here are 10 important questions you should be asking the top 2-3 companies you are considering:
- Experience: Ask about the company’s experience in window installation, including the types of windows they have installed and how long they have been in business.
- Licensing and insurance: Verify that the company is licensed and insured, and ask for documentation of proof of both.
- Warranty: Ask about the warranty offered on both the windows and the installation work.
- Lead time: Ask about the lead time for installation and if the company can accommodate your desired timeline.
- Do they use Subcontractors: Find out if the company uses subcontractors for any part of the installation process, and ask about their qualifications and work experience. The best companies typically have their own in-house install crew.
- Payment terms: Ask about the payment terms, including the deposit amount, payment schedule, and method of payment.
- Product quality: Ask about the quality of the windows they install, including the materials used and the manufacturer’s warranty.
- Customer references: Ask for references from recent customers, and follow up to ensure the company has a history of satisfied customers.
- Final walk-through: Ask about the company’s policy for final inspection and walk-through to ensure the work is completed to your satisfaction.
- How do they handle problems: Sometimes problems can occur. Whether it is damage to a planter bed or landscaping, a window that was broken in transit, or a newly installed window that still has an air draft, there may be issues you’ll have to contact them about. Who do you contact? How do they handle it? These may be officially out of their warranty service, but a good company will do whatever it can do to make it right.
Starting with a simple internet search in your area, followed up by narrowing down that search, and finally reviewing their quotes, can give you the assurance you choose the best window company for your home.