There are lots of reasons to invest in epoxy flooring which is a popular choice among homeowners. The most significant benefit is that this type of flooring is resistant to mold, moisture, and fire thereby reducing the risks of damage and unfortunate hazards. This epoxy flooring is very easy to apply and install making it a very cost-effective alternative as well. You will not need to put in much time, installing it. Moreover, epoxy flooring is cost-effective and affordable.
Apart from these, there are other benefits of installing epoxy flooring as well such as:
- It provides much stronger flooring as compared to any other flooring material
- It has very strong adhesive properties which means it is fast and easy to install
- It can withstand damage and the elements of nature, heavy traffic as well as wear and tear and
- It demands very low maintenance. Just regular cleaning and care are enough. You don’t need to do anything special.
However, there are a few things that you should consider during installing epoxy floors.
- It will take about 12 hours to dry.
- The chemical compounds in epoxy are proven to contain some allergens making it not suitable for people suffering from allergies.
Tips to install
To make the best use of the epoxy flooring you will need to install it perfectly especially if you want to mix small pebbles with the epoxy resin. You must ensure that it is spread evenly all over the surface so that you get your desired look. There are a few specific steps to follow to ensure this.
- Start with cleaning the floor thoroughly by sweeping away loose debris and dirt from the surface. Use a stiff-bristled broom for this and also mop it with pH-neutral cleaner. Sometimes a scrub brush may be required for proper cleaning. Rinse it thoroughly to clear away any residue.
- If there are any cracks on the surface, make sure you repair those cracks before installing epoxy flooring. Use wood putty for wood floors and joint repair sealant on stone floors and allow it to dry for at least a day.
- Use a large bucket to mix the epoxy primer as per the ratio suggested by the manufacturer. Use an electric drill with a paddle bit for mixing.
- Spread a layer and use a paint roller to cover the surface allow one hour of drying time.
- Add the stones to the mixture and trowel it onto the floor immediately to create an even layer and allow 24 hours to dry.
Lastly, sweep away the loose pebbles using a broom and seal the surface to stabilize the pebbles, and use the floor after seven days.
Care and maintenance
Proper care and maintenance are always required to keep the epoxy flooring fully functional. You can minimize your efforts with the following steps:
- Weekly maintenance is best to ensure general maintenance and for this, you can use an ordinary vacuum cleaner. For best results vacuum the floor twice a week.
- Pay extra attention to your epoxy flooring especially when it gets dirty. Use a mop to clean it with water on it. Carry a bucket all along to ensure that you wring out the extra water from the mop before applying it on your floor. This will prevent you from using too much water and reduce your cleaning efforts.
Lastly, do not allow any accidental spills to sit on the surface as it may damage the shine and sheen of the floor. As soon as you notice anything, use a wet or dry vacuum depending on the type of material spilled to get rid of it so that your epoxy floor keeps on shining and gaining people’s attention.