Flood damage can range from minor basement leakage and lawn spillover in half-basement flats to complete submersion in sewage-contaminated floodwater that has lasted for days or, in the worst-case scenario, many weeks. If this is the case, you will almost certainly have to replace the carpet.
Nevertheless, some people believe that it is worthwhile to take a gamble by cleaning it first before abandoning it, which is also an alternative that many prefer, and in such a case, here are some measures you can try. The following are some cleaning techniques for flood-damaged carpets. Our Carpet Water Damage Sydney professionals advise you to wear rubber gloves when touching sewage-contaminated flooring to be safe.
Remove the soaked carpet from the flooring:
- If it’s not glued together, roll up the carpet and carry it outside to a driveway, deck, or garage flooring. Be cautious not to injure your body with carpet tacks or nails if you must rip up wall-to-wall carpeting. Skin injuries put you at increased risk of infectious illness.
- Raise the carpeting off the ground and set it up on sawhorses, old furniture, or other structures to drain if it is too hefty to transport. After it drains, it may be light enough to move outdoors. Don’t let your caret dry this method if you want to salvage it, as it will be stretched out of proportion and won’t be even when dried.
- Take off the sponge padding from below. It will absorb water and start to emit a foul odour. Carpeting pad is less expensive to replace than carpets; it is unlikely to be recoverable.
- Clean a glued-down carpet in place before attempting to rip it up since the foam backing will most likely be ripped apart (see the clean-it-yourself in place steps later in this list). To remove water, use a wet and dry vacuum.
- After removing the carpeting and padding, clean the floors with a cleaning solution and bleach before treating with the carpet to reduce odour and mould within the house.
Calling the professionals for Carpet Water Damage Repairs Sydney
- Contact a professional cleaning service provider and describe your situation. They will be able to tell you if your carpet is worth preserving. If this is the case, they may be able to reach your home and pick up the carpeting for free.
- Alternatively, you may take it to them. Water Damaged Carpet Repair Sydney experts can bill you by square foot or by hour. Before you book any service, ask for pricing estimates.
- The use of steam cleaning (hot-water extraction) is recommended. Professional cleaners will use chemicals to help disinfect the carpeting. They will deliver it to your dry, but you must prepare your house for it.
- Leave the carpeting with the experts while you manage the rest of the water damage.
Is it possible to perform do-it-yourself Water Damaged Carpet Services?
You can hire a carpet steam cleaning machine and purchase the necessary cleaning detergent. If the equipment is not accessible, you can follow the procedures below.
- Take the carpeting outside and place it flat on a dry concrete surface, such as a patio, driveway, or garage floor, ideally in direct sunlight. A slanted driveway is the best option.
- Use a garden hose pipe with a powerful spray nozzle. Begin at one end of the carpeting and “sweep” it with water. Do this only once. Flip it over and hose the other side. Then “sweep” the face with water once more.
- Apply all-purpose liquid ammonia or pine-based cleanser and soak for a few minutes. (Avoid using full-strength ammonia.) Examine the ingredient lists of brand-name items. After coming into contact with certain cleaners, your carpet’s colour may fade or degrade.
- “Sweep” the carpet once again, pushing the cleaning foam and debris ahead of you.
- Thoroughly rinse until all of the cleaning foam has gone. To avoid harmful fumes produced when bleach and ammonia are combined, you MUST rinse before bleaching to remove stains.
- After thoroughly rinsing out the cleaner, use a wet-and-dry vacuum to eliminate any excess water from the carpet.
- Dry the carpeting as soon as possible to avoid mould and mildew development.
Mould, germs, and other contaminants in water-damaged carpets can pose severe health risks. If the water that soaked your carpeting contained toxins, it is highly unlikely that you would be able to salvage it. Merely drying off the water will not eliminate the germs or toxins that might lead to infections.
We understand that everyone is probably running on a budget, and that is why we provide affordable services for Carpet Water Damage Repairs in Sydney. Contact us and let us know what kind of problem you are facing, and we will be there to help you out as soon as possible!