Although many may not fully understand how important it is but roof ventilation is one of those concepts that a homeowner hears about. Good ventilation is critical for prolonging your roof’s longevity. You need to understand what happens when you do not have decent air movement if you want to know why roof ventilation is important.
What are the Problems Caused by Inadequate Ventilation
Many homeowners do not understand the problems that inadequate ventilation can cause. They are often expensive and can cause health problems if not addressed. Here is why roof ventilation is important:
• Shorten roofing system life – with the heat and moisture below roofing materials and underlay can deteriorate.
• Sagging or soft decking – the deck to sag or fail by the moisture build-up along the underside of the roof.
• Mold/mildew growth – for mold and mildew growth moist, warn conditions are perfect.
• Rust spread – metal surfaces like truss plates, hangers, and nails can begin to deteriorate and rust when moisture builds up.
• Stress on air conditioning – in the vents the heat of the attic can cause cold air to warm up. The A/C will be kept running all the time by this.
• Frost and condensation build-up – frost can be caused to settle on the underside of the roof in cold climates, moisture in the attic. In the summer, this same moisture can cause water staining on the ceiling by condensing.
Tell-Tale Signs of Inadequate Roof Ventilation
To get a roofer in to handle venting problems there are some signs you may notice that tell you that you need.
Even on mild summer days, the air conditioner is running non-stop. It can cause the air in the air conditioning vents to heat up when heat builds up in the attic. So, to cool the house the air conditioning may struggle.
A few years after installation curled roofing shingles appear only. For 10 to 20 years or more asphalt shingles should last. It might be a sign that the heat below is deteriorating the shingles prematurely if you start seeing curling shingles.
No clear roof leak is present in the ceiling leaks. Although, the roof is solid you have water stains. Causing the stains built-up moisture in the attic can drip and condense on to the ceilings. Moisture also causes mould growth which must be removed by mould removal services.
There are signs of mildew and mold. Ventilation must become a priority when you have any signs of mold and mildew in the attic.
How to Correct Roof Ventilation Issues
You need to do something about it if you think you have inadequate roof ventilation. Making your summer cooling bills out of control and potentially leading to mold and mildew the quality of roof can be shortened dramatically by failing to address the problems.
Bringing in a professional is the best way to correct roof ventilation issues. Actually, it requires some understanding of how a roof works although it might seem easy to get air circulating through the attic.
On how to correct the ventilation issues a professional has the equipment and knowledge. Some of the options can include:
• Ridge Cap – at the top ridge of the roof this foam filter provides air venting.
• Soffit Vents – vents allow air into the attic along the bottom edge of the roof.
• Baffles – moving air from the soffit vents into the attic towards the ridge cap baffles sit down in attic space edges.
• Mechanical fans – In some cases, baffles, ridge caps, and vents are not enough. A mechanical fan might be needed.